The University undertakes a number of annual planning exercises. The exercises are launched by central University bodies via the Humanities Divisional Office, which liaises with faculties to complete the exercises. Usually the Divisional Office provides faculties with guidance notes; contextual and historical information, where relevant; and a timetable. Faculty submissions are considered by Divisional committees, which agree on the Division’s responses for submission to central University bodies. The exercises include the following:
- Annual review of strategic plans, budgets and financial plans. In previous years, this exercise took place in late Hilary/early Trinity Term, but the timetable is currently being reviewed. As part of this exercise, faculties are asked to identify strategic plans, including in relation to academic posts, that will have an impact on their finances over the next five years. This exercise is jointly facilitated by the Humanities Financial Controller, Head of Humanities Administration and Head of Humanities Planning and Resources. This exercise also includes:
- Reviewing Humanities capital priorities.
- Reviewing the Humanities Risk Register.
- Reviewing progress in implementing the Division’s strategic plan against key measures of success (also known as Key Performance Indictors KPIs)
- Programme Data exercise (formerly known as the Student Load exercise) – annual review of faculties’ teaching contributions to courses; of particular importance where more than one faculty or department contributes to the teaching of a course. This takes place in late summer/early Michaelmas Term and is facilitated by the Humanities Education Support team.
- Student Number Planning – annual review of student intake targets. This exercise is typically launched around the middle of Hilary Term, and is jointly facilitated by the Humanities Education Support team and Head of Humanities Planning and Resources.
- Reviewing and setting tuition fees. This exercise is typically launched just before or just after the Christmas break, and is jointly facilitated by the Humanities Education Support team and Head of Humanities Planning and Resources.
- Space allocations – each the start of Hilary Term, Estates Services launch the annual exercise to check that their records of space allocations to faculties and departments are correct. Faculties are sent spreadsheets (usually via the Divisional Office) and asked to review and confirm their faculties’ space allocations.